Print this Page

HSHS History

Initially, Highland Springs was a one-room frame building established in 1891, with five pupils and a teacher.
By 1905, Highland Springs had grown to about 25 students, ranging in age from seven to sixteen. By
1907, the community had outgrown the one-room school and replaced the building with a four-room
building on the lot immediately east of the present school. It wasn’t long before an eight-room addition was
needed. The current high school, located in the Varina District, opened in 1952, and annexes were added in 1956 and 1957. During the 1970-71 school year, a massive building program began with a two story addition to the existing building. This new addition connected the two annexes with the main building.

Permanent link to this article: http://highlandspringshs.henricoschools.us/hshs-history/